Monday, July 23, 2012

A Hero

Tonight I want to say goodbye to a hero. You won't hear about him on the news. Although he deserves to be paid tribute. His battle was against Leukemia. Ryan was a 32 year old father, son, brother and friend. He fought so bravely for so long. His battle ended tonight. His body was so strong for so long, but he was mortal and could only take so much. On his last day his lungs were full of infection, there was a hole in his heart, his liver was all but dead, his vertebrae was broken and his brain was full of infection. And still he held on. Only after his mother told him that it was ok to let go did he finally close his eyes and was released from this earthly life. He is no longer in pain. He is now surrounded by our Heavenly Fathers love.
It isn't fair. Cancer claims so many lives. I promised Ryans mother that I will honor him by never giving up. There is a saying on numerous plaques here at Huntsman. It reads:
Cancer is so limited
It cannot criple love
It cannot shatter hope
It cannot corrode faith
It cannot destroy people
It cannot kill friendship
It cannot suppress memories
It cannot silence courage
It cannot invade the soul
It cannot steal eternal life
It cannot conquer the spirit

Cancer may take the mortal lives of many, but thats where it's power ends.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Dear Jan, Thank you for sharing this beautiful and inspired tribute. It is so very sad and unfair. But I am so glad you pointed out the the battle was only lost in body. But the Spirit is oh so very strong!! I was also very touched by the mother's love and influence in this story. Only certain things take me back to the afternoon we let our baby girl pass on from this life. But this story took me there. My Rhea held on until I told her I would be okay and that she could go. There is power within a mother's love. Your example and courage has blessed my life Jan, I thank you so very much for sharing this poignant journey with us. You are often in our thoughts and prayers. Keep fighting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janette,
    We have never met but I am Ryan's big brother Matt. At his memorial on Sat. I was asked to read this letter by my mother. I do have to say that it was very hard to make it through while trying not to be a blubbering mess that no one could understand. I have to give you my sincere thanks for writing this about my brother. He was one heck of a guy and fought through more then most could ever dream of enduring. Saying good-bye to him was the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life. Waking up every day, I know that I am one day closer to getting to see him again but it is sure hard to know that it may be a while. I hope it is ok that I follow you on your journey and know that you are in my thoughts to keep on fighting. I will forever have this letter to to remember that he was a hero to a lot of people, not just our family. I wish you the very best.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete