Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Latest appointment

It has been a crazy week! We are moved into a house! Not all the boxes are unpacked but thanks to some great friends and family all the essentials are in place! The frustrating part is that Conner has been sick since Monday and unable to live with us. He came down with a terrible cough, his voice was hoarse, he had a headache and body aches. His cousin that he goes to school with had the same symptoms so my sister was nice enough to let him stay at her house. This morning she said the kids were doing ok and asked if I wanted to meet them at the park with Brayden. When we got to the park Conner began playing on the toys and running around. After just a few minutes he ran over to me. He looked scared and was wheezing with every breath. You could tell that he needed to cough but he couldn't get enough air to cough. I immediately put the boys in the van and drove to the hospital. (with a very good mask on!) By the time we got there he had calmed down and was breathing a little better, but still wheezing. They did a chest x-ray and it came back normal. The doctor took a look at him and said it looks like he has bacterial bronchitis. They gave him a prescription for antibiotics and steroids and sent us on our way! I was so sad that i still couldn't take him home. My parents were good enough to take him for the rest of the day and night. Now I am watching Brayden like a hawk for any signs that he's getting sick too!
At my doctors appointment this week we got some good news and some bad news. The good news is that my chest x-ray came back "much improved" from the one I had a month ago! They said they can still see the pock marks where the fungus was, but it looks like the fungus is gone! The other good news is that my white cells have gone up a little, and my platelets took a pretty big leap! They are now in the normal range! The bad news is that my red blood cells and hemoglobin went  down quit a bit. They still think it might be drug induced. There are three drugs that could cause it but two are the anti rejection drugs that they can't start getting me off of for another month or so. The other is a drug that prevents pcp pneumonia (one you can only get with a compromised immune system, like the fungal pneumonia)  There is one other drug they could use for that, but it increases the QT wave in the heart which is something I've had trouble with in the past and is nothing to mess around with! So I hope my doctor can come up with something clever! If I could be transfusion independent then they might take out my central line! Hopefully things will just keep getting better. I just keep praying that tomorrow will be a little better than today!

2 comments:

  1. "I just keep praying that tomorrow will be a little better then today" I LOVE This!! I will pray for this as well! I truly hope it is!! ((HUGS!!))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you know how much joy it brings to me to see that you are doing well jan! You are a very strong woman and I'm so happy to hear that things are looking good for you. Give your boys hugs from me

    ReplyDelete