Sunday, August 12, 2012

Today is day 16 and I am showing signs of grafting!!   My ANC (absolute neutraphil count) came back at 832.   The doctor said that if my numbers remain high over the weekend, I could be released from the hospital on Tuesday!!   The only other thing that could prevent this from happening is if I got an infection before then.  I'm very excited about the idea of having my freedom back.   Once I am out, I will still have to be very careful about germs because I will be on strong immunosuppressents (this means my immune system will be somewhat neutralized in order to stop the new bone marrow from being rejected).   I will be gradually weaned off of the immunosuppressents over the next  two months or so and while that is happening, I will need to live close to the hospital.   If something happens and I can get to the hospital within 1/2 hour to 45 minutes, there is a good chance they will be able to deal with it.   If it is longer than that, the chances of survival drop dramatically.   Because my boys will be going to school in Brigham City and I will be in SLC for a while,   I will probably only be able to see them on weekends.   It will be hard not to see them every day, but it will be much better than now.  At least we'll be able to have sleepovers, go to the park, etc. whereas, right now, all I can do is visit with them for a few minutes in the lobby once a week.

1 comment: