Sunday, November 27, 2011

Spotlight supporters

Kristy's story

At the age of 27, I was pregnant with my 2nd boy, Aaron. I had another son, Ammon who was almost 2 years old.
About 4 months into my pregnancy, I noticed a lump.  I didn't think much of it.  I had breastfed my first boy, Ammon, for 15 months and was used to getting clogged milk ducts.  I also lactated a little while pregnant, so I naturally figured it was a clogged milk duct.
After several months of trying to make it go away, it was still there.
So I thought I'd talk to my OBGYN the next time I was in for an appointment, since I was pregnant, I saw him often.
I kept forgetting to talk to him about it!
6 weeks before I had Aaron, my husband lost his job - and I talked to my OBGYN (who sent me to a radiologist - my doctor and I were both convinced it was just a clogged milk duct).
4 weeks before Aaron was born, I was diagnosed with breast cancer.
Me, age 27.  WHAT?!  Major shock.
I started consulting with oncologists, surgeons, rad oncs, lymphatic people, grief counselors, etc.
We all decided that I would wait to have the baby before we would do any treatment to my body.
That was an interesting month - waiting for the baby.
My cancer doubled in size in that month and spread to a lymph node.
I had Aaron by C section on August 4th.  I was so DETERMINED to breast feed - because I believed in it so much.  I even found a breast surgeon who agreed to cut into me while breast feeding - because no one else would do it.  He just warned me that I would have infections.  And I decided it was worth it.
Aaron came out slightly tongue-tied.  Which meant he had a hard time latching on to feed and breast feeding became a nightmare.  After 4 days, I decided I would dry up before I went into surgery.  The hospital offered free formula to us as long as we needed it.
It was a sign.
I had originally scheduled my lumpectomy 6 days after my C section, but after deciding to dry up, I rescheduled to August 21st.  17 days after giving birth to Aaron.
I had the lumpectomy, and axillary dissection.  My husband and I were fighting day and night and were on the verge of divorce.  He refused to work - and he expected me to keep working!
So I did.
I took a maternity leave.  Started Chemo in September and went back to work November 1st while still undergoing chemo.
I did 16 weeks of a dose dense regimen.
Then went into Radiation for 5 weeks.
By the time I was done with radiation, my husband had gotten a job and then got fired (again).  And I kicked him out.
And then I began raising my boys by myself.
I realized that I can do anything if I put my mind to it - even working on top of a newborn and chemo.
"Why should we mourn, or think our lot is hard?  'Tis not so, all is right.  Why should we think to earn a great reward, if we now shun the fight.  Gird up your loins, fresh courage take, our God will never us forsake..."
I want you to know that I know that God lives.  And through our trials, we can become closer to Him.  It was an opportunity to see the world through the eyes of a cancer patient.  Life is so precious.  I felt others beyond the veil pulling for me and helping me when I was so absolutely exhausted.  I am so grateful for having cancer.  I was blessed beyond measure and it changed me into a better person.
And yes, I was tested and I have the BRCA1 mutation.  I have had 6 other family members with breast cancer.  I should have seen it coming, but you just don't think anyone gets cancer in their 20s.

Love Kristy

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your story! It is a shock to get cancer at 27! I'm so glad you came out stronger, and I hope I will too!

    ReplyDelete