Monday, November 12, 2012

Here is the plan

We met with Dr Pulsipher today to discuss his plan. He explained that just a few weeks ago he attended a seminar that completely addressed patients who relapse after a bone marrow transplant. There was a new study that they presented. He said the study was only done with 17 people, therefore it wouldn't have normally made it to this seminar to be discussed. But the results they were having were so positive that they spent a great deal discussing it. Out of the 17 patients, 70% went into long term remission (more than 2 years.) He said the technique is not all that different, and the drugs aren't new (which is great because they already know correct dosing and side effects ) the difference is that they used to give people perhaps a little bit of chemo, then another dose of their original donor cells. The problem with that is that the chemo sometimes damaged the new bone marrow, and the new donor cells aren't strong enough to stand up against the leukemia. So in this plan, he takes out the chemo altogether  (ya for no more hair loss!). Instead he immediately took me off all my immune suppressants to see if my new cells could make a dent in the number of leukemic cells. Next (probably this thursday)  I will begin receiving twice a day injections of interferon which will put fighter T cells into my bone marrow (navy seal of immune system). If I am still doing ok after all that then they will give me a dose of my donors cells. Basically they are trying to trigger graft vs host, therefore graft vs leukemia. Yet they want to stop the interferon at the first sign of graft vs host so as not to give me enough that it would become dangerous. The worst part about the interferon is that thee common side effects are feeling like you have the common cold. Fevers, chills, nausea.....So they recommend doing the injections at night and taking a lot of Benadryl! We will probably be doing a lot more bone marrow biopsies to track my progress. Their goal is to do all this outpatient, but just the slightest problem could have me admitted again. If this doesn't work, then he say's basically all they can do is give me low doses of tablet chemo to try and give me some more time. As in months. So that my family and I can go on vacations, and just be together. I really pray it doesn't come down to that. I wouldn't be able to make myself say goodbye.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Janette....I love you! This sounds like a good plan and a blessing to have a doctor that was at that particular conference. Tender mercy! We have all the faith and hope in the world that this will work for you! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janette, you are in my thoughts constantly! You are such a wonderful person and I was lucky to get to live by you for a short time! I am so touched by you and your family and all of your strength! I cant express how full my heart is for you! Prayers are coming your way!! So much love! Jessica Beecher

    ReplyDelete
  3. My prayers are with you. We've never met, but I check your blog often and have been keeping up with your progress. Just remember, It's never "good-bye"....it's "see you later!" Keep your head up and fight. I've actually heard of this new procedure and it sounds very promising!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janette, I don't know if you remember me, I was at Tom and Julie's with you and your family serval time here in Alabama. You have constantly been in my prayers this past year and will continue to be so. I think of you often and what a beatuiful person you are. I will continue to pray for you and your family for the strength you guys need. You are an extraordinary woman.
    -Jordan May

    ReplyDelete